University of Warsaw Information
The University of Warsaw (Uniwersytet Warszawski) is a public university in Poland. It was ranked prestigiously as the first/second top university among the upper 500 universities of the world by Times Higher Education Supplement in 2006. The university has 126 buildings.
Its main structures include Pałac Kazimierzowski (Kazimierzowski Palace), where the rector and senate seats resided; Stary BUW (the Old Library); Szkoła Główna (Main School ( which was the seat of the Main School until the January 1863 Uprising, and currently, the seat of the institute of archaeology; and the Auditorium Maximum, which is used as the university’s primary lecture hall. A New Library (which is named Nowy BUW) with magnificent roof gardens was also opened together with a number of small campuses, one of which is the physical and chemical site in ulica Banacha (Banacha Street), where the MIM (Department of Mathematics, Computer Science and Mechanics) hold their office.
It was founded in 1816 as the Royal University of Warsaw, consisting of five departments: Philosophy; Medicine; Law and Administration; Art and Humanities; and Theology. The institution grew rapidly and soon had eight hundred 800 students; these were catered for by fifty professors. It was shut down due to the uprising in November 1830 and resumed in 1862 as Akademia Medyko-Chirurgiczna; a medical and surgical college, the. It was then renamed as the “Main School (Szkoła Główna). The school catered to more than 3000 students during the period but closed down after the January 1863 Uprising. It was reinstituted as the Imperial University of Warsaw, a Russian-language institution.
The independence of Poland in 1918 gave way to a thorough revamp in the school and at the early 1930s, the university became the largest in Poland, employing more than 250 lecturers and 10,000 students.
The death of its senate, Józef Piłsudski was instrumental in changing the name of the university to “Józef Piłsudski University of Warsaw” (Uniwersytet Warszawski im. Józefa Piłsudskiego). It again experienced a period of closure after the 1939 Polish Defensive War. However, a “Secret University of Warsaw” (Tajny Uniwersytet Warszawski) was organized and was soon alive and by 1944, over 300 lecturers and 3,500 students in different disciplines actively participated in this underground university. After World War II, in December 1945, lectures recommenced for almost 4,000 learners and new structures were slowly erected. Despite the ups and downs of the university through the succeeding years, it remained the center of liberal thinking and education.
Today, steered by its rector, Professor Katarzyna Chałasińska-Macukow, it maintains 19 departments and holds its main campus in Krakowskie Przedmieści.
University of Warsaw Address
Krakowskie Przedmiescie 26/28,
University of Warsaw Rankings and Quick Facts
|Ranking – Times 400 (UK)||
|University world Ranking – Jiaotong 500 (China)||
305 to 402
|European Rank (Jiaotong)||
124 to 172
Uniwersytet Warszawski Facts
|Students (Undergraduates / PG/ Total)||
|Faculty / Staff||
|Number of foreign students (if known)||
European University Association, Socrates-Erasmus