University of Witwatersrand Information
The University of Witwatersrand is a leading public university strategically established in the industrial and commercial heart of South Africa. Known commonly as Wits University, its mission is to uphold liberty of inquiry and the continuing pursuit of knowledge and truth. With this active charge integrated into the mainstream of its philosophies in instruction, learning, research and extension, the university has created a name for itself, it being considered the nation’s hub of education and research.
Other good South African Colleges include the University of Cape Town, University of KwaZulu-Natal and University of Pretoria.
It has its beginning as the South African School of Mines founded in 1896 in Kimberly. In 1904, the school transferred its residence to Johannesburg and its name was changed to Transvaal Technical Institute. The school was further renamed to Transvaal University College in 1906 and became South African School of Mines and Technology in 1910.
Its milestone included a conferment in 1922 as a full university. Effective March 1 of that year, the College was integrated into the University of Witwatersrand. The first principal was Prof. Jan Hofmeyr. During that time, the university had six faculties, namely, Arts, Science, Medicine, Engineering, Law and Commerce, with 37 school divisions, 73 academic staff and a little over 1,000 students.
The increase in student enrollees over time, especially between the period 1947 to 1980, had driven the university to expand. A new location was afforded in 1964 in Esselen Street, Hillbrow for its medical library and administrative bureaus. In 1968, the Graduate School of Business was instituted in Parktown. In 1969, the Ernest Oppenheimer Residence was also officially opened in the same location simultaneous with the launching of the clinical departments in its new Medical Institute. Its Medical School was transferred to York Street, Parktown. In 1976, the former Lawson’s Corner in Braamfontein was renamed University Corner after it was obtained by the university. In 1977, its main administrative building called the Senate House, was occupied.
Other acquisitions of property and land included the Sterkfontein site, declared as World Heritage Site, known for its limestone caves, and rich in archaeological material in the 1960s; Swartkrans, a neighbouring farm also rich in archeological material in 1968; and the Milner Park showgrounds which was renamed into West Campus in 1984.
Today, Witwatersrand University is ranked 301st in the world for First Degrees by the QS World University Rankings. It currently has five faculties, namely, Commerce, Law, and Management; Engineering and the Built Environment; Health Sciences; Humanities; and Science.
University of Witwatersrand Address
The University of Witwatersrand address is located at:
Private Bag 3,
University of Witwatersrand Rankings and Quick Facts
Motto: Scientia et Labore
Witwatersrand University is located in Johannesburg, South Africa and is often called by the shortened name Wits University.
|Ranking – Times 400 (UK)||
|University world Ranking – Jiaotong 500 (China)||
305 to 402
|African Rank (Jiaotong)||
University of Witwatersrand Facts
|Students (Undergraduates / PG/ Total)||
|Faculty / Staff||
|Number of foreign students (if known)||